Life is too short to have boring hair and curls are always fashionable. And, guess what? You don’t need a curling wand to achieve those most-wanted curls! Curling your hair with a straightener is the best way to achieve a modern and classy hairstyle. Curls are elegant, romantic, and can match different styles and outfits. From loose beach waves to glamorous curls, they are the easiest way to step up your look.
Have you ever tried curling your hair with a straightener? It’s easier than you think! There are many devices designed for hair curling, but you can achieve the best result using the simple flat iron. If you don’t know how to use a hair straightener to achieve those curls you’ve been dreaming about, we have put together this step-by-step guide on how to successfully curl your hair using a flat iron. It will take a little time but with practice, by the end of this guide, you will understand and master the techniques to curl hair with straightener. Plus, once you learn how to do it, you will get the hairstyle you want in just a few minutes.
Table of Contents
First things first, you need to get a good hair straightener for your hair in order to achieve the best results. If you don’t have a good flat iron yet, here are some of our suggestions.
Best Hair Straighteners:
Then, read the article written below to learn How To Curl Hair With A Flat Iron.
Step By Step Guide How to Curl Hair With Straightener
How to Prepare Your Hair:
The first step to Curl Hair With Straightener is the preparation of your hair. Preparation starts with a good hair wash. As a rule, you should always keep in mind that you can’t curl wet hair. Make sure your hair is dry before using the straightener. If you use the flat iron on wet hair, the water will maximize the heat and will instantly fry your hair, which will cause irreversible damage. Don’t go for damp hair, either. Damp hair is also unable to get curled and the moisture combined with the straightener’s high temperature will damage your hair as well. For the best result, blow dry your hair. Blow-dry gives extra volume, which also results in voluminous, well-defined curls, not annoying ringlets.
Choosing the Right Flat Iron:
The next step is getting the right tool for styling those fabulous curls. In this post, we are going to use a flat iron. To achieve Curl Hair With Straightener, choose a flat iron with 1 – 2” plates. If plates have beveled edges, it will be easier for you to achieve the desired results.
- ONLY ONE STEP: FURIDEN professional hair straightening with directional switch new design, only one step to rotate clockwise to desired salon high heat. The Revolutionary One Step straightener and...
- LESS TIME: FURIDEN best flat iron with MCH, a new heating standard for hair appliance. This flat iron curler heats quickly in 15s, Save Energy, More Durable, Lasts Longer, significantly reduces...
- NO SNAGGING & NO TUGGING: FURIDEN 360°swivel long cord flat iron for women with floating plates ，balanced heat plates that move when you do. The floating plates with curved edges continuously...
- BEST CHOICE FOR TRAVELING: FURIDEN travel hair straightener and curler 2 in 1 with worldwide dual voltage (110-240AC) and auto shut off. The package included: Heat Resistant Glove, flat iron bag,...
- BETTER THAN CURLING IRON: The plates of hair straightener with curved edges continuously adjust the angle to avoid snagging your hair and make it easier to use for beautiful curls and beach waves....
Now heat the flat iron to the right temperature compatible with your hair texture. If you have fine hair, set the temperature to the low range. If you have coarse hair, use ultra-high temperature.
Apply a Heat Protector:
Always remember that heat damages the hair. To prevent hair from the heat damage, apply the Best Hair Protection Spray before using any thermal hair styling tool. A good hair heat protectant will prove to be a barrier between your hair and the flat iron. If the flat iron uses far infrared technology, it will lower the effects of heat damage. It’s wise to apply heat protection to each section of hair you want to curl if you have thick or coarse hair.
Section Your Hair:
Sectioning your hair is an important step if you want to get perfect curls. Start with small sections. Always section your hair correctly into vertical sections otherwise, it will be hectic to get the perfect Curl Hair With Straightener. Without sectioning your hair it will be almost impossible to handle the flat iron and you won’t get a salon-quality finish.
Follow these steps for proper hair sectioning:
- You should curl the bottom layer first. From the nape, section the hair into two main parts. Let the bottom part sway downward. Clip the upper part which can’t be curled right now.
- Create one-inch sections of hair and curl separately.
- Repeat the process until all sections have been curled.
- For the last layer, you should curl the hair from the front to the backward direction.
[divider style=”solid” top=”20″ bottom=”20″]
Different Curling Techniques:
There are several techniques to curl hair with straightener. You may try each one of them on different occasions depending on the types of curls you want to achieve. We have listed some of these techniques below.
There is a technique called flicks and curls. To curl hair in flicks, grab a small section of your hair. Clamp the iron from half down. Now, turn the straightener on itself in the backward direction. This way you can have U-shaped curls. If you move the iron slowly, you get tighter curls. For having curls, start ironing the hair closer to the scalp. But be careful, you don’t want to hurt your scalp. Again move slowly to achieve tight and long-lasting curls.
With the flicks and curls technique, you get loose curls. You should try turning the hair in full turn, and that is a common technique for creating more pronounced curls. Start from the roots and keep turning the iron on itself for having luscious and ringlet-y curls. You may try both techniques on different occasions as per your choice.
There are two techniques of turning the hair while straightening. One is under and the other is over. You are curling hair halfway or complete way. In both cases, you may decide how to turn the iron. It’s totally up to you. The key difference is that both techniques move in opposite directions. It means you get curl hair with straightener but with different styles.
Surprisingly, you can achieve crimped hair using a flat iron. Yes, the fabulous ’70s crimped hair still has its beauty and will never go out of style. If you want to achieve crimped hair like Beyonce, start from the smaller section of hair closest to the scalp, clamp the hair and turn the iron to the quarter. Now move to the next bit of section and repeat the step in the opposite direction. Keep doing this until the end and enjoy a crimped hairstyle.
How To: Curling The Hair With Flat Iron
Moving to the most important part of the article, that is how to curl hair with straightener.
- First of all, use hair spray on all sections of hair for the best results. Sometimes, it is very difficult to curl coarse hair. In this case, spray on the section just before styling the hair. This way, it will be easier for you to style your hair. Avoid using too much hair spray. Otherwise, you will end up with crunchy and stiff curls that do not look good.
- Sectioning is the most essential part of curling your hair, as we have mentioned above. Sectioning your hair depends a lot on the length of hair and its texture. For example, smaller sections can end up in smaller and tighter curls. for tight curls, you must slide the flat iron slowly. If you want lazy loose curls, you need to divide the hair into larger sections, but you should also glide the flat iron faster through each strand of hair. For achieving a fusion look, try both large and small sections.
- After sectioning your hair, the next step is curling using the flat iron. How does this work? Heat flattens the hair follicles to mold them into curls. You can use the techniques we have discussed above, but you can be creative and try different methods. For a beginner, the flicks and curls techniques it’s a great way to start. Remember: no matter what method you choose, never old the flat iron on each strand for more than 10 seconds because it will damage your hair.
- After curling your hair, you can leave the curls as they are. Avoid touching the curls immediately and let them cool completely before touching or applying a styling product. For a salon-like finish, you can use additional products. For example, if you have loose curls, move your fingers through the hair for more volume and a messy look. You should use mousse or hair spray on the hair for holding curls tighter. The use of hair spray is the best way to get long-lasting curls.
How to Curl Hair With Straightener: Conclusions
We hope our easy guide to getting curly hair with straightener will help you achieve shiny, well-defined curls. Although curling your hair with a flat doesn’t seem an easy task, with practice, it will become easier than you think. Make sure you invest in the Best Hair Straightener and follow the information about the curling process. In this article, you were introduced to some most popular techniques and tips on how to curl hair with straightener. Take your time and be patient if you don’t get the results you desire from the first try. And don’t forget to take care of your hair. Happy curling!